Our Scottish Natural Heritage Placemaking Team Manager, Ivan Clark, helped launch a new opportunity for greener social housing projects at the recent #HousingInnovationScotland event. He tells us more about it in today’s blog.
Last Week, at the Scottish Federation of Housing Association’s (SFHA) Innovation Factory #HousingInnovationScotland event, I was very pleased to be able to announce an exciting opportunity for a path-finding social housing provider to access a £60,000 package of financial and design support to help deliver an innovative social housing development that maximises the benefits of the vegetated land and water within and around housing sites.
This ‘green infrastructure’ can provide space to socialise, to play, to grow food and to connect with nature. Green infrastructure can also provide a range of other functions that support successful places such as water management and managing the impacts of pollution.
Scottish Natural Heritage, along with our project partners Architecture & Design Scotland, Scottish Government, and the Scottish Federation of Housing Associations are looking to partner with a housing association or local authority housing provider that is intending to commission design contracts for social housing in the next 12 months.
Support may include:
- Site appraisal – with a specific focus on the efficient use of open space and integration with adjacent green networks
- Facilitated Design Brief workshops with key stakeholders, including local community, potential future residents and/or tenant focus groups
- Preparation of Masterplans/ Designs
- Cost consultancy to support the business case and value for money (VFM) approvals process, with a focus on ‘whole-life’ costs and benefits
- Post occupancy evaluation including VFM, Place standard and other complementary tools relevant to evaluating the benefits of green infrastructure
Want to find out more?
You can find out more about the project and download the Call for Interest document from the SFHA Website. If you would like more detail please email Lorna Wilson, SFHA Innovation and Future Thinking Policy lead on firstname.lastname@example.org or Ivan Clark, SNH Placemaking Team Manager on email@example.com